Thursday, August 10, 2006

Ramsey Farm...Raising tougher horses?


I have stated this before but I live in Jessamine County Kentucky which boasts 2 premiere Thoroughbred Farms, one is the Ramsey Farm, the other is Taylor Made. We have a weekly newspaper and occassionally there are some really good articles. Today's issue had a feature in the Sports section with interviews and some nice quotes from Ken and Sarah Ramsey. The most interesting aspects were how they came to be one of the preeminent owners and breeders in Thoroughbred Racing. Apparently in their younger days they tried an unsuccessful stint at claiming some really awful horses and made little money. Eventually they migrated to the Real Estate business and ultimately they won the rights for the cellular telephone franchise in Atlanta. So, they made their money when they sold that interest and came back to invest in the former Almahurst Farm, buying up as much of the former farm as they could and they continue to try and buy back all of the land that comprised that once great farm. Currently they have over 1,200 acres and Ken Ramsey was quoted as saying he wants to continue buying up all of the surrounding land to "keep it from being developed", which is reassuring as horse farm encroachment in the BlueGrass has been and continues to be a concern. The other interesting point that the Ramsey's make is one I hear from them in almost every interview and that I see daily as I pass by their farm on my way to and from work. They do not believe in "hot housing" their horses. They keep them outside almost 24/7 and don't worry about the nicks and imperfections that result from "horseplay". Ramsey is quoted as saying, "The babies are out here running in the field 7 days a week, 24 hours a day". The broodmares encourage their babies to run and they feel this playful romping pays off at the track. "They're not intimidated"...."raised with a group of siblings that pushed him around and he can take care of himself. " "That's why our horses are stronger and we don't have as many breakdowns at the track" Ramsey goes on to say. Ramsey also credits the maintenance of their pasture and the quality of the land and grass, which is legendary in Kentucky and revolves around a near perfect climate to grow lush grass pastures but also the abundant limestone which is said to provide the minerals needed for stronger bones and also gives the grass it's blueish hue. I thought this story helped illustrate the role that breeders play in the durability of today's Thoroughbred. One thing is for certain, their huge success must mean they are doing something right. Here is link to the entire story.

7 comments:

t said...

This is really interesting. As you know, I bought my filly from the Taylor brothers. They're a big commercial operation, though, as opposed to the Ramsey operation who breed to race.

Does this weekly newspaper have an online edition? I'd love to read the whole story.

Joe Danaher said...

http://www.jessamineonline.com/public_html/?module=displaystory&story_id=2806&format=html
I should have thought to link the story...it is available online.
I didn't realize your filly came from the Taylors, that is really wild.

Anonymous said...

I wrote this story, glad you like it.

aksarbarry said...

I have been a huge fan of the Ramsey horses since watching Kitten's Joy and Roses in May race a few years back. I was surprised to see they had sold Precious Kitten as I feel she was robbed of the eclipse award last year. I continue to watch for any of their horses and follow the stud carears of their stallions

Anonymous said...

I will not acquiesce in on it. I think polite post. Particularly the appellation attracted me to study the sound story.

Anonymous said...

Genial brief and this post helped me alot in my college assignement. Gratefulness you seeking your information.

Anonymous said...

buy levitra online canada
buy