Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Hirapour at Saratoga...he's a winner no matter what place he finishes!

I have already expounded on the excitement I get watching my single live steeplechase race of the year at Keeneland each spring the Royal Chase. I have also commented on my favorite pony who has won me some cash over the past few years that I have followed this race. I have also been learning about the tradition of steeplechase races at Saratoga so it was with great delight and awe when I read that Hirapour will be racing this Thursday . This amazing 10yr old has battled some injuries and colic but he has such a huge heart and there is nothing like seeing a race over hurdles live. I think this quote sums it up: "It's just a credit to his desire and his will to perform," said Hirapour's regular rider, Matthew McCarron. "He grits out every victory he's ever earned. He is just one of the hardest-trying horses I've ever sat on."
I know I will plop down a few more dollars on old Hirapour, if for no other reason than sentimental. He is in the final season of his racing career so I will be sad to see him retire as I have followed him for 3 seasons and it has been a lot of fun watching him race.

No comments: