Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Where the surf meets the turf....


For the past couple of years that I have really been following this great sport of Thoroughbred Racing, I have identified a couple of tracks that are on the "must visit" list and every year about this time I make many "virtual visits" to old Del Mar. They have a great website and being just north of San Diego, I just am not sure there is a better location for a track in the world and this is coming from someone who has the good fortune of living about 10 miles from Keeneland. I visited San Diego about 6 years ago but that was mostly for business and I didn't even know about Del Mar (sheltered life and all) but it just looks like such a great place to wear some shorts and the loudest Hawaiian shirt you can find, grab a racing form and just hang out for the entire meet.....now that would be a vacation!
If you read this and have been to Del Mar, feel free to either confirm my suspicions that it is a great place or burst my bubble and tell me why it isn't all that it appears to be. Meanwhile I will be singing that Bing Crosby tune from time to time over the next month and planning a real San Diego trip for next year (I hope)!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Interesting website with a lot of resources and detailed explanations.
»