Sunday, June 18, 2006

Saratoga, Arlington, Del Mar...which summer circuit do you play?

With June rapidly rolling by and the focus of racing moving out of Kentucky my attention begins to roam and last summer I could never really get focused on trying to follow one particular track. I have never been to Saratoga, Arlington or Del Mar, although they all three look very worthy of a visit, but last summer I did manage to take in some races at Keeneland OTB and on TVG and I tried to focus on Del Mar and I began to learn a little about some of the trainers and idiosyncracies of that meet and had some moderate wagering luck. This summer, I am hoping to be a bit more focused so I am wondering what other handicappers out there do during the dog days of summer? Do you focus on a particular track? If so, which one and why? Also, if you have been to any of the three, I am interested in your recommendations. I am very intrigued and tempted to go up to Saratoga although the easiest track for me to visit may very well be Arlington Park. Thanks again to anyone who takes time to post some info.

4 comments:

t said...

funny you should mention this. I always love to get down at the pea patch. My bread and butter is the NorCal Fairs, though. I only pay attention to Saratoga and Arlington for the biggest races, and Del Mar even takes a back seat to Santa Rosa for me.

TripleCrownRacing said...

Saratoga has the best racing of the 3. Del Mar is still not better than Belmont and Arlington has some good racing with nice full fields. If you get into the racing at Saratoga listening to the daily handicapping from Siro's through DRF online is a must.

Baloo said...

This is the time of year that I really enjoy. Instead of focusing on a single track or region, I get to follow a bunch of horses and jockeys from all around the country. I watch all of the big Breeders Cup "prep" races, and also sit back and watch some of the great 2 year olds that are making the way to the big leagues. As long as your watching racing, it does not matter where or how!

Anonymous said...

I'm a fan of Saratoga. The Travers is the best race of the summer and there are several great two yr old and turf stakes. There's pretty much a competitve stakes race every day. This year they are adding the Woodward, which will only make the meet stronger.