Monday, April 10, 2006

Emotions run rampant first weekend at Keeneland

There were cheers, there were (almost tears), It was the best of times, it was the worst of times..but mostly elation combined with confusion. I found myself looking at a Trifecta in the 5th at Keeneland on Friday, opening day but Rafael Bejarano closed at the wire and after an agonizing 5 min review of the photo, my money(looking at a 5 figure payout) stayed safely tucked away in Keeneland's coffers. Oh well, there are worse places. Then, the Ashland and my chance to really score and I get totally sidetracked by betting my heart and going with my old buddy from last October, Dawn of War and well, we all know how that one turned out (where the heck did Chin High come from?). But it was a beautiful spring day until the skies opened in the ninth. Then Saturday dawned cold & frosty for April but we were ready and made our way back to the track with the hope that springs from a new day filled with new races where anything can happen, but only a marginally better day at the window, but some good racing and a great time and I'm up a mere $61(icing on the cake). The funniest part is that on Sunday I had a hunch on the first race and won $46 so that helped my bruised handicapping ego. Anyway, I did realize the races I enjoyed the most were the 4 1/2 furlong 2 y/o never been raced first timers. They were rambunctious and unpredictable in the post parade and right on through the exciting race. Keeneland's notorious speed bias is very much in play in these sprints where you only have workouts to go on and trainer/jockey combos and little else...how exciting is that? Anyway, this is one of my favorite times of the year to just get out to some races in person, just nothing like it to spend some time with family and friends in the beauty and tradition that is Keeneland. I hope everyone who reads this has access to a race track because there really is nothing like the sights, sounds, smells and sheer fun of going to the track. Now, what's this I hear about Brother Derek being awesome? I still think Barbaro and Lawyer Ron have run hard and looked tough and don't forget, it takes a tough horse the first saturday in May to navigate the traffic and have the determination to lead that pack across the finish line in Louisville. Look for the boss of the herd, not necessarily the fastest horse but the most dominant and add a little luck and we should have no trouble picking a Derby winner!

No comments: