Wednesday, February 28, 2007

March-ing into some great racing

March is so fun-filled for me. My wedding anniversary, my daughter's birthday, St. Patrick's Day (same day as my birthday), Spring begins, Spring break (remember those college days anyone), March Madness for us college hoops fans and the real start on the road to the Triple Crown all happen in this in like a lion, out like a lamb whirlwind month. This week-end promises some exciting action on both coasts:
Gulfstream Park's Fountain of Youth Stakes Division: Classic Grade: II Purse: $350,000 Distance: 9 Furlongs Age: 3-Year-Olds Saturday, March 3, 2007 @ 4:00 PM EST
Derby Favorites: Nobiz like Shobiz; Stormello
Horse to watch: Adore the Gold
Questions: Can Nobiz handle two turns? Is Stormello capable of going the distance?
My picks: Adore the Gold in a closing drive to outrun Nobiz and punch his ticket to the Derby. I love this guys story and that of his connections. Not very scientific analysis but enough for my small stakes wagering!

Santa Anita Handicap Division: Classic Grade: I Purse: $1,000,000 Distance: 10 Furlongs Age: 4-Year-Olds & Up Track: Santa Anita Saturday, March 3, 2007 @ 7:30 PM EST
I love watching the older horses that are still out there running so I love this race this year.
Anyway, how the heck could I root for any other horse but Lava Man in this one. Sure he'll big the big favorite so this won't be a great betting race but this is a horse that is fun to watch run.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was wondering what your thoughts on/about Scat Daddy were. Everyone seems to have decided he's not up to anything. What strong evidence is there to base this on? Although not scintillating his performances so far have been solid, and ideally you want the horse to peak in May. It's also impressive that he's accomplished all that he has given how old he is (significantly younger than other contenders). I'm not saying that he's going to win the Derby, or that all the handicappers are wrong to be discounting him...but at this early stage he seems like one of the safest bets. He's reliable, seasoned, experienced, and trained by Todd Pletcher! What angle am I missing?

Joe Danaher said...

Hey Emily, all strong points regarding Scat Daddy but sired by Johannesburg who had some troubles with lasting the distance as a 3yr old and given Daddy's 3rd place run in the Holy Bull, the question remains is this horse up to the distance?

Joe Danaher said...

ahh emily, you are lookin pretty smart about right now! Hope you enjoyed that great race. Nice run by your guy Scat Daddy. Actually all 4 horses on the front end really ran a helluva race I thought.

Emily said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Emily said...

Haha, yeah I enjoyed the race. I didn't do any betting but my fantasy handicapping turned out great!