Monday, January 22, 2007

Sir, have you been drinking?

After the incredibly sad story about the vet giving horses pre-race vodka cocktails (literally and via injection), I was surprised to read a bit about the testing, or lack of testing for the presence of alcohol in race horses. Of course, being a bit naive, I was surprised to learn this is actually not as rare as it may be reported but that the blood test is really $$$$ and they are developing an equine Breathalyzer test. I am all about calm horses and everyone knows a 2yr old TB colt can be a handful but injecting the animal and then sending them out to race seems reckless. I guess if you can stay one step ahead of the testing, there are those in all sports (look at steroids and baseball or cycling), that will try to get away with getting that edge. Now maybe if the horse acquired the taste for a post-race stoli and grapefruit slurped from the feed tub, that might be different....

1 comment:

Nellie said...

I couldn't help but notice that right after this news broke, it was announced that Grey Goose would be sponsering the Juvenile Fillies ... at least the girls will be getting the good stuff. The timing on that one was just a little distasteful - I find it hard to believe that it couldn't have waited a day or two. Then again, maybe I don't want to know... *joking*