Monday, September 18, 2006

Goofy clothing designs




Okay, now I have very little room to speak on this topic but I will anyway (direct from my gym shorts and t-shirt pajamas!). The latest KY Derby 133 design leaves a lot to be desired. How the heck do you improve on the wonderful silhouette of a thoroughbred? By "modernizing" it into robohorse? I think not. Churchill Downs fashionistas please watch "What not to wear".
Next, the DRF t-shirt that looks a bit like you have leaned up against a wet copy of the DRF and it stuck to the midsection of your shirt. A strange fashion statement to be sure. How about just the classic logo across a nice cotton t-shirt, how about that?
These are a couple examples of how other mainstream sports absolutely kick the crap out of horse racing clothing...I mean check out the NFL licensed merchandise...a regular plethora for fans and not really a horrible fashion misstep in all of it. C'mon horse racing, I would actually buy a t-shirt in support of the sport if only there was something out there worth wearing!

5 comments:

John said...

Joe

You'd better be careful or someone at Churchill may ask you to design a shirt for them next year....

After the Rubin Bailey thing who knows, we bloggers could be the ones getting stones thrown at us for a change. . .instead of the ones throwing stones..

A scary proposition, don't you think !!

Joe Danaher said...

you know sometimes I think from a marketing perspective, many ideas I have read on TBA Blogs make a helluva lot more sense than what the "mainstream" is dishing out. Scary yes, but only because as a consumer of the sport, I really want to see improvement in the marketing area just because the sport really deserves it.

Superfecta said...

I feel like they only get it right every fifth year or so. I also got the email telling me that now is the time to buy my new t-shirt and can't say I was overly impressed. It seems many of these designs were left over from about 1988.

Patrick J Patten said...

i can hook you all up w/ Ramsey style shirts looks like their silks $25 +$5 s/h My idea never caught on either, but I'm not giving up.

Patrick J Patten said...

i have a couple hundred more Ramsey style silks shirts 25+5s/h if anyone is interested. my idea has still yet to catch on, but i'm not giving up just yet.