Tuesday, February 14, 2006

How do you handicap?

Let me count the ways! There are so many methods and angles, it is hard for a relative newcomer to keep up with the myriad ways to pick a pony! I have picked-up the "Authoritative Guide to Betting Thoroughbreds" from the BloodHorse just so I know enough to be dangerous with a Daily Racing Form. I also tried the DRF Formulator which I think helped save time and actually I had Dawn of War at about 46-1 at Keeneland this past Fall and finished in the top 40 in their online handicapping contest. Not really solid credentials but I'm learning. Anyway, I have started listening to Derek Simon's podcast and it has some really great strategies and picks to consider. I really enjoy sifting through workouts, past performances, distance and Beyers to look for a value play but realistically as a guy with 2 kids, 2 jobs and 2 horses, well...I must admit I am looking for shortcuts! If anyone stumbles on this blog and has any wisdom they would like to impart, please drop me a note! In the meantime I am planning on posting some picks for some upcoming races in preparation for my "serious gambling" during the Keeneland Spring meet...I still like seeing the ponies in person and making my wager at the track!

No comments: